Coaching can have a profound impact on leadership skills, relationships with staff and board members, overall job satisfaction and work-life balance, confidence, and adaptability. John Gilvar’s approach to professional and leadership coaching emphasizes the following touchstones:
- You’re the expert of your own life, whether as a leader at work or otherwise.
- We focus together on attaining your vision of the future, exploring and then refining a path toward your goals.
- Your coach is in your corner as you move beyond habitual patterns and strategies, leaning into your learning edge.
- We work on concrete action steps and timelines that move your learning forward.
- Most of us need some support in holding ourselves accountable to trying out new methods or ideas. We collaborate in determining how you’ll hold yourself accountable.
- Mindfulness techniques can help increase awareness and improve self-regulation. Transformation–within a person, relationship, or organization—occurs more easily when we’re more present to our experience.
GCS offers two free 1-hour coaching sessions, either in-person or via video-call, so that clients can determine if our approach feels helpful. If it does, we will meet regularly (ideally weekly) for 10 additional 1-hour sessions. The fee for sessions 3 through 12 is $250 per session. The 12-session format works for most people, but we can continue beyond that if you’d like.
What coaching is and is not…
Our coaching approach employs curiosity, open-ended learning, guidance, and support as you define your vision of the future and then establish and implement an action-oriented strategy to move toward that vision. It is very different from working with a consultant or therapist, although both of these approaches may also be helpful. We don’t provide advice, unless it’s requested outside of the coaching context. Nor do we focus on the past, for example, by learning how to heal from certain childhood experiences that may lie underneath long-standing patterns that may hold us back.
John Gilvar’s Coaching Credentials
John is certified by the King County Coaching Program. He is approaching the coaching hours total required for International Coaching Federation certification, having completed the required classroom training.
All information will be held as confidential, except as required by law.